Wednesday, January 5, 2011

California Zinfandel


Peachy Canyon Zinfandel


Cartlidge& Brown Zinfandel

Layer Cake & Longhop Shiraz
Rosenblum Zinfandel
One of the things that I enjoy having while visiting the US is American Zinfandel, which happens to be my favorite American red.  There are a number of good Zinfandels that I can get at the Dekalb Farmer's Market and I will attempt to describe the flavors of these that I selected.  I also included 2 Aussie Shirazes for comparison purposes.  I tend to have more Australian Shirazu in Tokyo because it's also very tasty and more readily available. 

To begin with, the Rosenblum Cellars Zin contains hints of blackberry, casis and plumb.  It is slightly rich, but not overpowering.  Next, the Peachy Canyon reminds me of strawberry, cranberry, and apple.  It has a young and fresh flavor.  In addition, the Cartlidge contains a little more bitterness than the other 2.  The flavor contains ripe plum, black cherry and bits of young parsimmon. Lastly, the Layercake Shiraz has a richer and more  wooden flavor.  It reminds me of chocolate, spice, and black cherry.  As for the Longhop, it is also a rich shiraz with more jucy flavors.  It contains hints of cherry, melon, and pear.   Bottoms Up!

1 comment:

  1. Good work, if I do say so myself, on these first 2 postings. To avoid sounding like a heavy drinker, of alcohol, why don't you write about something different-such as your favorite coffee shop in Tokyo, Japan.

    ReplyDelete